1. Set goals of how far you want to run or bike, how hard you want to climb, how much you want to weigh for summer and keep a training journal so you can look back to see your actual improvement.
2. Watch some YouTube videos of people participating in the sport you love. Find some inspirational photos for your phone. Put some upbeat, heart pumping music on your iPod when you are warming up for your training session. This will get you amped so you can put more effort into your workout.
3. Keep a positive attitude. Remind yourself that each session is helping you reach your goal. Sure it is supposed to be fun but it is fun to push your limits and improve.
4. Drink more water and less processed juices, pop, beer and high calorie cocktails.
5. Eat more fresh fruits (bananas, oranges, apples), vegetables (broccoli, carrots, beets, lettuce, tomatoes, rocket), proteins (nuts, eggs, fish) and cut out the processed crap. You will notice a difference in your endurance, strength and energy. This does not happen the next day, but try it for 30 days and you really will feel better.
6. If you are too tired to train at the gym do a light stretching routine combined with some sit-ups, leg lifts and a few push-ups at home. Something is better than nothing. I started my daily routine of sit-ups with 3 sets of 25. It only took 10 minutes.
7. Invest some money in good shoes. Treat yourself to the more expensive shoes, the logic is if you spend the money it will be more likely that you will use them. Another upside is they will have better rubber, a nicer fit, be more comfortable and help increase your performance and progression.
8. When you are training train with purpose. You must have a plan of what you want to accomplish in each session. In your training journal have the plan prewritten of what you will do each day. You can also record how you feel, what exercises you do (reps and sets), what you eat, what you drink, how much sleep you had, your mental state (stress level, happiness) and weight.
9. Try, try, try and try again. You must not give up; success will come if you keep trying.
10. I will be fitter, slimmer, stronger, be able to ride my bike faster, hike longer, climb harder, be healthier, feel younger and have more energy.
Yes summer bodies do get made in winter!